Friday, August 05, 2005

Here's a story beginning...

...that I may or may not ever finish. I just came out of my head, so I wrote it down.

I’m watching the sun rise from the hazy horizon. How many times have I sat here, on mornings just like this, staring vacantly, half-awake, as the big orange ball spreads light in its path? Today, of course, is different. This is the last day I will see this sun rise in just this way. My name is Ashley Callaghan, and I am a 23-year-old prison inmate. Today, I leave Earth and I am never coming back.

Do you ever wonder if you could go back and change just one thing in your life, if you could make just one decision different, what it would be? There is no question in my mind what decision changed the course of my entire life. It was the night when I told my little brother Derek that liars go to hell. I proceeded to describe in grotesque detail what they did to little liars down there. What can I say - he was an impressionable kid back then. Of course, I must also admit that as a young teenager, I only cared if he stayed out of my room and didn’t touch my stuff. Little did I know that in a few years he would be incapable of telling a lie that would be the only thing to stand between me and my own private life in hell.

No comments: