Sunday, November 13, 2005

What I dislike about Christian science books

It seems like most of them are just rather cheesy. For one, you rarely see one that's written on a more technical level than that of a high schooler. Secondly, I don't know, they're so right-wing. I mean, when I think about, say, the beginnings for the universe, or the development of life on earth, who is to say that God didn't use evolution or the big bang. I guess I just don't think that belief in well-known scientific theory is mutually exculsive to believing in God. Personally, I'm inclined to believe that the story of creation at the beginning of Genesis is not all that meets the eye. God often speaks in pictures or types, why not creation? I mean, it seems likely. Besides, who wrote Genesis? Moses. Was Moses there? I don't think so! Now, that's not to say that God couldn't have revealed it all to him, but it seems more on par with God's nature to keep things hidden until we need to know them. Therefore, it only stands to reason that God would enjoy keeping how he made the universe a mystery. I make no claims to know what happened, but that doesn't mean that there's no reason to search it out. Somewhere in the Bible it says that it's the glory of God to conceal a matter and the honor of kings to search it out. Seems to me that the origin of the universe is a prime example of this. Christian science books just explain it all away, with no leeway for things God has not yet reavealed to us. Rather pompous, if you ask me. Just when you think you know everything, God comes and blows you out of the water, so watch out.

Thanks, I just had to get that out. That's all.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Bo, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Any more on the car?

J. H. Austin said...

Exackerly.

Buddy and Joe (you know whom) have argued about whether the Noachic flood was world-wide or local.

Guess!

Janelle WInston said...

Hey you, why don't you write me? Or at least leave a large comment on my blog? That would be really spiffy. I would love to hear from you about how you are doing. I love you so much, and I don't give a rip about Christian science books... but agree they are lame. Write me sometime. Miss ya and love ya